It's getting impossible to keep up with the avalanche of mainstream media and blogospheric coverage of Judge John G. Roberts, Jr. There are so many great articles and posts to read, and not enough time! This is especially true if you, like Article III Groupie, have a demanding day job.*
For the time being, A3G leaves you with this quick Searching Under the Robes post. It's a collection of some of the more interesting or amusing Google searches about Judge John Roberts that have brought web surfers to this blog, accompanied by commentary from A3G.
1. John Roberts and Jane Roberts (maiden name: Jane Marie Sullivan) got married at the relatively late age of 41. The following searches suggest that some people out there are thinking that Judge Roberts might have had a previous marriage:
--"John G. Roberts, Jr." divorce
--Judge John Roberts remarried
As far as A3G knows, however, this is the first marriage for both Judge and Mrs. Roberts.
2. These web searches reflect the public's understandable curiosity about Judge Roberts's adorable children:
--Judge John Roberts children
--"john g Roberts" adoption sons
Judge Roberts does not have "sons"; rather, he has a son and a daughter. His daughter Josephine ("Josie") is 5, and his son Jack is 4. As noted in this article, they are adopted.
(Update: For more details on their adoption, click here.)
3. Senator Schumer, don't you have better things to be doing than surfing the web?
--john g roberts what's wrong with this asshole
--dark side to justice john g. roberts
People looking for dirt on John Roberts are likely to be disappointed. He was exhaustively vetted prior to his 2003 coronation as a D.C. Circuit judge, and he came up clean as a whistle. As noted by Professor Patrick J. Schiltz, a friend of John Roberts (and former Scalia clerk), Judge Roberts "has been an Eagle Scout in his personal life."
4. The person who ran this search was probably looking for information about Mrs. Jane Roberts's involvement with the pro-life organization Feminists for Life (which one can read about here and here):
--"judge roberts" wife abortion
5. Boy do we live in a great country!
--is john roberts julia roberts sister?
--"john roberts" supreme court sister "julia roberts"
--supreme court nominee related to julia roberts?
--"john g roberts" "julia roberts"
A3G is tickled pink by the notion of average, US Weekly-reading Americans** suspecting a familial connection between Julia Roberts, a leading female celebrity, and John Roberts, a leading federal judicial celebrity. Such speculation is entirely understandable, in light of what Professor Schiltz describes as Judge Roberts's "movie-star looks."
Unfortunately, much to A3G's disappointment, John Roberts is no relation to Julia Roberts (notwithstanding this funny mock news article). Judge Roberts has three sisters: Cathy, Peggy, and Barbara. Julia Roberts has one brother, actor Eric Roberts, and one sister, Lisa Roberts Gillan.
6. What was going through the mind of the person who ran this web search?
--john roberts dancing bush nomination
After pretending to consider various women and minorities for the Supreme Court these past few weeks, President Bush decided to disappoint all the groups he had just ginned up and nominate a white male.
So all we know about [John G. Roberts] for sure is that he can't dance and he probably doesn't know who Jay-Z is. Other than that, he is a blank slate. Tabula rasa. Big zippo. Nada. Oh, yeah ... we also know he's argued cases before the Supreme Court. Big deal; so has Larry Flynt's attorney.
Ms. Coulter, Article 3 Groupie thinks you're a magnificent diva -- but your intense hostility towards Judge Roberts is quite unwarranted! It doesn't make any sense to A3G -- unless you are craftily condemning Judge Roberts as insufficiently conservative in order to make him appear more palatable to the hand-wringing liberals.
A3G is still looking for fun facts about Judge Roberts -- things that haven't appeared in the news coverage thus far, such as what he likes to eat for lunch and where he likes to shop. (She has already learned that he attends Mass at the Little Flower Parish in Bethesda, Maryland.) If you have any juicy tidbits, please do email her!
* Some of you have suggested that A3G take on a co-blogger. But as you might have guessed, that's not this diva's style. UTR is a one-woman show, and A3G is too egomaniacal, as well as too much of a control freak, to share the pages of this blawg with anyone else.
** A3G means no disrespect to US Weekly, which she absolutely adores and reads religiously. In fact, if any UTR readers out there know the fabulous Janice Min, please tell Ms. Min that A3G would love to work for her!